Monday 19 May 2014

White Pleather and Gold Phone Cases

Earlier this year, I made some changeable paper and card case designs, with a clear case [which I decorated with gold nail varnish and glitter, obvs.] and today, I have another personalised phone case project, that is a little more permanent and incorporates my favourite colour combinations [white & gold] with my favourite fabric [pleather].


This was a perfect Saturday afternoon craft and excluding the drying time, took only 30 minutes to make.  The design options are endless and I chose two fairly classic designs, but I'm definitely trying some more, so may update this post in the near future!

What I Used:
Clear iPhone Case [99p, eBay]
White Pleather Material [£3.99 for 1/2m, Dunelm]
Gold and Bronze Dylon Fabric Paint [£2.99 each, The Range]
Scissors / Paintbrush / Pencil / Hole Punch / Craft Knife
Washi Tape

This pvc 'pleather' is so versatile: durable, flexible and very easy to work with - perfect for this project.
Using my case as the template, I traced the outline and camera lens on to the back of the material:
...the material is easily cut with scissors, but for the more tricky area for the camera lens, I used a craft knife and then neatened the edges with small fabric scissors [thanks to Claire!]:
Next - although you could leave the cover as it is - on to the decoration.  I decided on classic and simple for my first attempts - stripes and spots, both created with the help of my washi tape.  Sticking a length of tape onto my cutting board, I used my ruler and craft knife to create some stripes:
...and sticking my tape onto some card, used a hole punch to create my spots [washi tape removed 
to be placed on my case with the help of my craft knife to separate the card and tape]:
I placed my shaped tape in place:
 ...and then began painting over the areas I wanted colour with Dylon fabric paint:
 The paint colour is applied in thin layers, meaning you can build it to exactly the opacity you want:
 ...the gold paint required 4 thin layers and the bronze six thin layers, each with only
around 10/15 minutes of drying time in between to ensure the paint didn't come away:
Once completely dry, I could start taking the tape away to reveal the patterns:
  
 
 
 Ta-da!  Simple but really effective case covers - let's get them finished.
Before gluing, make any final sizing checks and trim any excess if needed:
 ...cover the back with strong glue - anything that will ensure the cover and case will not come apart.
I didn't go right to the edges with the glue, as this would escape between the case and fabric as
soon as I applied any pressure and cause me a whole load of bother I definitely don't have time for:
...so to make sure the edges were sealed, I pressed down on the case around the edges with 
my finger to move and guide the glue around:
Leaving to dry - this took around 5 minutes with my glue - and I got to using my new case.
I'm really pleased with the effects - geometric, colour combinations on the to-try list next!
see you next time x

P.S - I'm tinkering with the blog and unfortunately, as I'm completely self-taught; it will be in bits and bobs rather than a seamless change - thanks for bearing with me!
Share:

22 comments

  1. They are lovely! I am usually a fan of polkadots but the stripes case is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I definitely think the bright gold stripes stood out even more with the white fabric background - I'm planning so many more for gifts - a really simple and quick craft [my favourite kind!]

      Delete
  2. What a brilliant idea! So pretty! Thank you for linking it with us #Pintorial

    ReplyDelete
  3. Acknowledges for penmanship such a worthy column, I stumbled beside your blog besides predict a handful advise. I want your tone of manuscript...
    best-iphone-7-plus-cases

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent Blog! I would like to thank for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. I wanted to thank you for this websites! Thanks for sharing. Great websites! iphone xs max cases

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is simply amazing. Thanks for sharing. phone case

    ReplyDelete
  6. Much thanks for composing such an intriguing article on this point. This has truly made me think and I plan to peruse more flower phone case

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing the fabulous phone case DIY. Get an amazing, design Wood iPhone X Case ​at Technogadget. IPHONE X CASE | THE GREAT WAVE (SLIM BACK) £24.00

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice information, I am searching for this post. This article gives me a lot of information. Would you like to get more information about the Electronic Accessories like mobile accessories , so, Visit Geoff’s Club

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but great. I need to spend some time learning or understanding more. Thanks for the fantastic info I was looking for!!
    You can check the latest product & service reviews here:
    atom tricks
    Best Battery Phone Case
    Charging Phone Case Apple

    ReplyDelete
  10. “How can I sell my Samsung phone ?” The Samsung Galaxy Smartphone, which is used on eBay, craigslist, and other websites, can be sold directly to the private buyer on a website. Prices fluctuate and aren’t as basic as some of the other options below, but this may be the most advantageous way to dispose of your old handset.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is an awesome blog post, I really appreciate it. To get all used iphones and iphones accessories in the US at a very cheap price then phonedaddy is the last option.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the great concert, I have been working in this city for a very long time as I have a phone business and currently we are giving unlocked phones for sale
    and I have never seen such an amazing concert before.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a brilliant idea and cool design!! Reused phone cases for Used iPhone 13 Pro Max and Used iPhone 13.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are a projected organization offering a full range of top construction companies in Pakistan services and investment management while maintaining a solid foundation of trust and mutual respect generated through a positive relationship with clients, architects, engineers, subcontractors, and suppliers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, this cover looks so nice. DIY phone cases are the most satisfying to me. You can also try DIY on wooden cases. Wooden phone cases are extremely durable and they can be customized and even engraved. It is also light weight compared to other covers and the grips are super smooth but it doesn't slips. You can visit kerf case to get yourself a wooden phone case. They provide wooden cases at a reasonable price and their quality is very premium.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow thats the amazing blog post by author. Thanks to the author for sharing info
    Old gold buyers
    Old gold buyers
    Cash For Gold

    ReplyDelete

© The Things She Makes | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig