Sunday 26 November 2017

DIY Home Decor | Winter Potpourri

Did you know that you can dehydrate and dry fruit in the microwave?  As my kitchen continues to be renovated, I don't have the luxury of an oven, but a few of the DIYs coming up over the next week or so meant I needed a fresh batch of homemade dried fruit.



| WHAT YOU NEED |

Oranges | Lemons | Limes | Cinnamon Sticks | Frosted Pinecones | Pinecones

Ready Made Versions [Dried FruitPineconesMini Pinecones]

| HOW YOU MAKE THEM |

I have posted before how this can be done with an oven, but thought I'd share how I achieved the same with my microwave to create some Winter spiced / Christmas potpourri.  It's decorative and smells amazing and easy - you should try it!

If you have a DIY in mind that involves drying your own fruit, start the process a week before you make the project to allow suitable prep and drying time.

From previous experience, I selected the most fragrant fruits: oranges, clementine, lemons and limes - the largest ones I could grab in the supermarket.  I sliced them at around 1/2cm in thickness and then set them aside on a paper towel to soak up as much of the moisture prior to drying. I added cuts to the clementine quarters for a little variety in shape and size.

I also sprinkled a little cinnamon on a few slices before transferring to a microwavable plate.  You can layer your fruit, but this will increase the time it will take to dry, so I recommend smaller batches of one layer to speed things up.
Set your microwave to defrost and begin microwaving your fruit in 10 minute intervals and turning your slices each time.  The time will depend on your microwave and settings, so keep an eye on the first batch to gauge the suitable time bursts.  As my fruit began to dry out, I reduced these bursts to 5 minutes.

Continue until all your fruit is dry [if you feel yours is still a little sticky and fear that further microwaving may burn your fruit, transfer to your airing cupboard or on a tray under the radiator to completely dry.
To display my potpourri, I used frosted pinecones, cut from a stem bought at poundland, cinnamon sticks and a few real pine cones [not at all stolen from my nephews nature box - sorry, Jack!] and added them to a decorative jar, open bowl and as little hangings to the door handles to add a little festive decoration as well as scent to my house.
These are really easy to make and there are so many decorations that can be made with them. It's the season - and this is the perfect craft to get you in the mood!
Share:

40 comments

  1. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. Home decor site

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fuzhou borni pharmaceutica main products are API and hygienic materials, medical equipment,eterinary medicine packaging materials and veterinary medicine packaging machines germax

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post...I have really enjoyed reading your post...if you want to explore more gifts and want to send to your loved ones then visit 1800giftportal
    international cake delivery to Germany
    online cake delivery in Canada
    midnight cake delivery
    personalised baby gift

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. If you are looking for a nice pet bed to add in the decor of the then, then we are on of the top pet bed manufacturers in China.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing thanks for sharing this blog I have become a fan of your blogs now. This blog is so interesting and informative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this blog! Aroma Foodstuff : Wholesale dry fruits wholesaler in Dubai,Cashew Nuts Wholesale And Manufacturers,Dry Fruit Gift Boxes,Dehydrated Fruits,Cashew Flavour Masala and many more product availeble here book now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i really like your blog very informative and helping me thanks for info.find about more info here Best Direct Discount Codes and many more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea to share your blogs with us because your Article helps us to learn so many things through your blogs. I am also wanted to write blog kindly guide me if my topic is aluminum wheel polishing machine then what should I do first and how will I create new and unique content on this topic

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I read this blog article and trike balance between exceptional and hand sanitizer supplier pricing. we by no means try and lower down our prices just to outdo the marketplace. we make certain that our pricing justifies our first-rate. even though hand sanitizer is the fastest-promoting item, we in no way overcharge buyers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for such an informative post. You have mentioned the amazing fact. your articles are always amazing. keep posting!
    Bar Table And Stools
    Home Depot Outdoor Furniture

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wanted to buy the most luxurious dining table for my dining room. Then one of my friends suggested buying a marble dining table. Then I visited an online store named VisgHome and purchased a marble dining table. This dining table makes my dining room so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really found your blog post so much informative while assessing this. Dry Fruits to Karachi for more dry fruits ideas. This is very good post and i really love this and i will be hoping to see more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really love this blog post and I really find it soo much informative. Send Dry Fruits Baskets Gift to Pakistan for lot more varieties of dry fruits. I really like this post and I want to see more from you

    ReplyDelete
  16. I Just love your Blog super interesting and informative I think you should also write an article about Printed fabric suppliers

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your article is very useful, the content is great, I have read a lot of articles, but for your article, it left me a deep impression, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much admin for uploading such amazing content with us your blog is really helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really want to appreciate your efforts for this gifts to Pakistan for more fruit gift ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice article thanks for sharing this useful information with us

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice and informative post. Thanks for sharing this Men’s gifts online Pakistan for more gift ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for such an informative post. You have mentioned the amazing fact. your articles are always amazing. keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much admin for uploading such amazing content with us your blog is really helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This article is massive increase in knowledge and more then that it is useful and interesting too, keep posting more.

    ReplyDelete
  25. this article is massive increase knowledge thanks for the creating a unique article

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very Informative blog thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  27. It’s an amazing blog post, and it is really helpful as well.

    ReplyDelete

© The Things She Makes | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig