Monday 4 March 2013

Framed Chalkboard


I cannot tell you how happy I am to have this ticked off the to-do list!

I'm especially late with this one as I've been searching for the right frame.  I've bought plastic moulded ones from eBay, searched second hand shops and contemplated restoring and also thought about repainting others.  But, being lazy, I decided to keep looking until I found what I was looking for.  Most of the time, I don't really know what this is.  Finally, I found my frame in the best way, by accident and when not looking for it.  Usually, this situation also means not having budgeted or having the funds, but my perfect frame is budget friendly and this whole project cost me £22.

 I used this frame from Dunelm [£19.99], but also wanted this ... and still do.  I think I'll go and buy it after this post for the kitchen actually.  I really like the moulding effects, vintage feel and colour:
I bought this tube of chalkboard paint [£1.99] long, long ago, [so naive was I of the time
involved in finding a frame], but you can get the same here [or make your own with 2 parts tile
grout and 1 part paint]:
It says it works on almost ANY surface...let's see.

Removing the glass, and pre-cut mount I covered the inside of the backboard [which is similar to thick paper mache in texture] in 4 coats of paint
[I think 2 would have been fine, but I wanted to be doubly sure....literally]:

This is after one coat:

...and the second [applied in the opposite direction]:
...and once more in each direction:
...which I think gave it more depth and a more even finish.
Leave to dry fully [I left mine overnight] and then clip everything back in to place:
I'm really pleased with the overall effect.

I'm going to invest in a chalk pen, as this is going to be used often and little chalk sticks try my patience - I will be back with an update of how that works and how well it comes off / is reused - if you are interested in making your own chalk paint and want an effect that isn't as harsh as black, you can mix any colour of paint [one part] to two parts tile grout [from a DIY store] - I've yet to give this a go myself, so if you can recommend any good examples, let me know! [thethingsshemakes@yahoo.co.uk]


Share:

18 comments

  1. I love this!! You are so crafty and clever. xx. McKenna Lou
    www.lynnandlou.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi McKenna Lou - Thanks so much! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing valuable information.

    ReplyDelete

  4. I'm glad to find such a great article like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some reason I found great interest in reading it and I would like to share it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that I came across your post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the good information you share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for sharing this beautiful blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. truly appreciate this post. I’ve been looking everywhere for this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is typical to encounter difficulties when using assignment writing services.

    ReplyDelete

  11. Nice post. I learn something totally new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I simply want to tell you that I am just beginner to blogs and certainly enjoyed you’re web page.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks a lot for sharing great content with us. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Appreciate your quality stuff, really so useful and informative blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cheers! Thanks a lot for sharing this post. I love this post

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing this brilliant article it was a very useful and helpful

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am amazed by the way you have explained things in this article.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think this is one of the most important pieces of information for me

    ReplyDelete

© The Things She Makes | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig